Friday, June 21, 2013

Wooden Kayaks

Wood Stripe Boats

Enjoying the beauty of wood in all its forms made me start to build wooden canoes and kayaks for our tours here at Laguna Bacalar.
Since 9 months now I paddle one of Nick Schade's design, the Petrel.

Wood stripes are pine and the outside is stained
mahogany to get this dark red uniform color. The
recessed cockpit allows me to lean fare back for
rolling.
It is only 20 inches wide so paddling with the
traditional Greenland paddle is an easy task but many guests are surprised that this stick works at all.

After the first paddle days I got used to this quite narrow kayak  and the more I use it the more I grow in to the "Petrel" and it becomes more and more an extension of my lower body. 


 But since you can't stand on one leg, I started with a other sea kayak from the same designer, just a bit wider ( 24 inch ) and with more volume for more gear on longer expeditions.
The Great Auk is a fast and stable sea kayak for beginners or if you need more space for multi day camping trips.
The hull and deck are finished and I'm waiting for the epoxy, that I can start to cover it in fiber glass.


  


1 comment:

  1. The blades of paddle is curbed so it could be easy to drive in sea and it needs less power for huge water replacement.
    http://woodenboatusa.com/Modelboats.html

    ReplyDelete